The auntie White discourse

Christopher B. Hajib-Niles cniles at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 4 05:17:05 PST 2000

> I keep going back and forth on this thread, to do auntie White or not to
> do auntie White? I am not sure it needs yet another incarnation.
>
> In an earlier post, Chris claimed the nazis enlisted the US race
> discourses. I think this is partly mistaken. If the nazis followed any
> lead beyond their own it was English and French nineteenth century
> biology and the social sciences, Gobineaux(?) for example. Their
> German predecessors also did a considerable amount of work in history,
> classics, and archaeology postulating Aryans as an indigenous european
> lost tribe.

yes, all of this is certainly true. it's ben a long time since i've read in this area so i can't be precise but i know that several writers have made it abudnantly clear that hitler and other nazi heavies were quite public in their admiration of american racial policy and american eugenics...

> One of the things that distinguishes the German context from the
> American, is that Aryanism was interlocked with an evolving
> nationalism and national identity.

as was very much the case in the states with whites in the early part of the 19th century, albeit in a different way...

This cult of European and
> particularly German nationalism which was expressed as capital,
> industrial, intellectual and cultural competition, also focused on
> linguistics and philology and became a competition between virtual
> identities, national personae so to speak.

yes...

Racism and racial divisions
> and discourses in the US functioned through slightly different modes
> and expressions.

yes...

In the US, nationalism showed itself through the
> Indian wars for example and the appropriation of land from the Mexican
> Territories. This latter point somewhat illustrates Chris's contention
> that concepts of race fail to address a broader front, of something,
> call it whiteism for the moment.

the concept of "racism", not "race" but ok...

> While everybody here probably assumes that race is related to
> anti-semitism, sexism and other social pathologies, that relation
> hasn't been spelled out.

originally, this was discussion that pitted the anti-racism vs anti-whiteism, especially as it relates to organizing effectively against power, not a debate about race. maybe it became that because there are more academics on the list than agitators...

also: as is often the case when race comes up with a lot of white folks around, people start making sloppy associations about class, gender, largely, i think out of a certain defesivness...

And, there hasn't been much of a view given
> on how race is interwoven with developments in capitalism--

i made some general points a while back but ok...

i'll comment on the rest of your interesting discussion later...

chris niles beyond the