Aids

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 22:58:16 PST 2000

In message <F145OS8vu6N58f84YHo0000e3a5 at hotmail.com>, jan carowan <jancarowan at hotmail.com> writes

>Are you saying that it is merely accidental that two thirds
>>of British aids sufferers are gay? Are aids charities mistaken in
>>directing their message towards gay communities?
>
>Yes, I am saying that gayness is not causative of the HIV virus.

So you are not saying that it is merely accidental, you are saying that 'gayness is not causative'. As you are aware, it is not a statistical fluke that two-thirds of aids sufferers are gay. Why that is is neither here nor there, when discussing the likelihood of an epidemic amongst heterosexuals.

> I am
>reminding you that many of your readers are predisposed to understand the
>social misfortune of aids by inferring some hidden, intrinic property in
>invidiously categorized kinds of people which explains why the virus
>afflicts.

But you cannot shift the prejudice by lying about the facts. It is because aids campaigners have so consistently lied about the facts that they no longer command any authority for young adults.

You seem to think that if the facts are 'invidious' then they should be covered up. But facts aren't invidious, (What is 'invidious' anyway? Why does it play such a large part in your lexicon?)

>I am saying that beneath the seemingly objective discourse of
>risk factors, turned into risk groups, is the same old judgemental folk
>psychology of prejudice, intolerance and unreason.

Surprised that you should dip into the essentialist metaphor of 'beneath the surface'. You say that the prejudice is associated with these facts. Well, I guess it always will be while those that wish to challenge this prejudice deny these facts. Two-thirds of aids sufferers in Britain are gay. No amount of quibbling will wish that away. Try to deny it and you render yourself unbelievable on the subject.

>You may want to consider
>this aspect of the problem while penning your next manifesto against the
>condom.

Well, of course, I could assume that the greater part of humanity is bigoted and cannot be trusted with the truth, and therefore must be lied to to persuade them to act for the good. Myself I prefer to believe that no good case ever had anything to fear from the truth.

-- James Heartfield