The Grinch that stole the elction

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Dec 5 07:50:39 PST 2000

[Chuck0, they wrote a poem about you :o)]

But

Whatever the reason, Lack of trust, lack of goals, The Grinch dreaded that day when Chads went to the polls.

He just hated those speeches and negative ads, And when push came to shove, he just hated the Chads.

He just hated their theme parks, their football-team rooters, He just hated their gun laws, their barmaids at Hooters.

He just hated their weather, even hated their hate. And he hated that they were a battleground state.

"So they're making their choices," he snarled with a sneer. "This 'Decision Two Thousand' is practically here!

"They'll struggle to choose 'tween a crumb and a bum, "'Cause a voter's a voter, no matter how dumb."

Then he growled, his Grinch fingers nervously drumming, "I must find a way to keep outcomes from coming!"

For tomorrow, he knew, all the flag-waving souls, Would again waste their efforts on Bushes or Gores.

And by then, oh, the polls! Oh, the polls! Polls! Polls! Polls! That's the one thing he hated! The Polls! Polls! Polls! Polls!

So the Chads, rich and poor, and by bus, car, or boat, They would vote! And they'd vote!

And they'd Vote! Vote! Vote! Vote! They would vote to ban smoking or clearing your throat.

They would even vote laws in for curbing your goat.

And then ...

They'd sing that anthem. It always came later. Be they Bush-ites or Gore-ites or ites of Ralph Nader.

They'd stand close together, and though still full of fight, They'd stand and they'd sing, by that dawn's early light.

And the more the Grinch thought of Election Day's ring, The more the Grinch thought, "I must stop this whole thing!

"Why, for two hundred years I've put up with it now! "I must stop these outcomes from coming! "... But how?"

Then he got an idea! Yes, a legal idea! The grinch got an awful but legal idea!

"I know just what to do!" the Grinch laughed with a jig. And he wove from his goat a Sam Donaldson wig.

And into the mirror he spoke with grand rancor, "With this helmet of hair, they'll all think I'm an anchor!"

[etc. more offlist if requested.]

Michael