debunking Sapir Whorf

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 10:40:54 PST 2000

http://www.urbanlegends.com/language/eskimo_words_for_snow_derby.html

> [massive snippage]
>
> Yes, the whole Eskimo-words-for-snow-thing is lame.
> But does one
> disconfirming example mean the the sapir-whorf
> hypothesis is
> incorrect?

Strikes me that Eskimo snow isn't a disconfirming example at all except in the Hempel's Paradox sense. To disprove Sapir-Whorf, you need counterexamples to the hypothesis that linguistic facts influence non-linguistic ones. The Eskimo snow gig is all about non-linguistic facts influencing linguistic ones. Its truth or falsity has to be irrelevant to the truth or falsity of Sapir-Whorf.

dd

===== “It is necessarily part of the business of a banker to maintain appearances and to profess a conventional respectability which is more than human. Life-long practices of this kind make them the most romantic and the least realistic of men” -- JM Keynes