Standardized Tests & Minorities, was Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #3698

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 5 14:14:49 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >As far as predicting success in college composition, the
> >number of bathrooms or tvs in the home make equally good
> >predictors.
>
> Way behind, just catching up, but... The number of TVs and/or
> bathrooms is probably highly correlated with income. So are you
> saying that parental income is a good predictor of educational
> outcome?

I presume that is it. I think I came across the figure in *College English* or some other scholarly journal a couple of decades ago. But scores in standardized tests are also, I believe, highly correlated with confidence, which comes from having taken a lot of them under not too much stress. And I suppose that too is correlated with income.

If I remember correctly, the claim only concerned college composition. Nothing was said about college success as a whole. I don't even know how success in composition correlates with success in college as a whole.

Carrol