Once again, the self-anointed speak

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Tue Dec 5 14:40:06 PST 2000

Is it possible to apply the term schizophrenia to institutions?

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:

November 30, 2000

Daniel Seligman, Sierra Club202-675-2387 Thea Lee, AFL-CIO, 202-637-3907

Seattle Coalition Leaders Vow to Carry on Fight for Global Fairness

WASHINGTON, DC: John J. Sweeney, president of the AFL-CIO, and Carl

Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, today jointly declared

plans to carry on the fight for global fairness launched last year

during the Seattle Summit of the World Trade Organization (WTO).

November 30th marks the one-year anniversary of the coalition of

"turtles and teamsters" formed to protest the WTO's neglect of labor

and environmental concerns in global trade pacts.

"Together with our coalition partners in the religious, student,

consumer, and family farm organizations, we have put the issues of

workers' rights, environmental protection, sustainable development,

and democracy on the table of the globalization debate," said John

Sweeney. "The tens of thousands of people who came together

peacefully

on the streets of Seattle one year ago signaled the beginning of an

international movement that is gaining strength and momentum as it

moves forward."

"We have only just begun to fight for global fairness," said Carl

Pope. "The Sierra Club pledges to work with our labor allies to carry

the spirit of Seattle to America's main streets. In the coming year,

we will organize citizens across the country to join the effort to

make trade clean, green, and fair."

The two organizations plan to deepen their cooperation by organizing

joint town hall meetings, visits with elected officials, and other

activities over the next year.

Sweeney and Pope also celebrated concrete achievements, including

development of guidelines for environmental review of trade

agreements, negotiation of a trade pact with Jordan that includes

enforceable environmental standards and workers' rights in its core

provisions, funding of debt relief for some of the world's poorest

countries, and deepened dialogue and debate at the WTO, IMF, World

Bank, and ILO over how best to address the issues raised by the

Seattle protesters.

"During the past year, we have provided education to our own members,

taken our concerns to our government, and worked directly with trade

unions and civil society organizations from developing countries to

insist that global economic policy address the concerns of workers

and

communities, as well as those of multinational corporations," said

John Sweeney. "We are building a new consensus that trade and

investment agreements can no longer merely ignore citizens' concerns,

but we have a tremendous amount of work still to do.'

"We need to move trade off the "fast track" onto a "right track" that

puts workers' rights and the environment on a par with commercial

concerns," said Pope.

###