Fw: Study: Big Companies Threaten Democracy

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 5 20:17:14 PST 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Eisenscher <meisenscher at igc.org> Newsgroups: misc.activism.progressive Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 11:48 PM Subject: Study: Big Companies Threaten Democracy

> Page 5B
> Think tank study assails globalization
> By James Cox
> USA TODAY
>
> The anti-corporate movement that burst on the scene at last year's Seattle
> trade summit is sponsor of a study out today that says big companies
> threaten democracy.
>
> Of the world's largest economies, 51 are now companies and 49 are
> countries, says the Institute for Policy Studies, an anti-globalization
> think tank in Washington.
>
> Trade and investment liberalization have given corporations ''increasing
> levels of economic and political clout that are out of balance with the
> tangible benefits they provide society,'' it says.
>
> The study argues that:
>
> * Sales of the world's 200 biggest companies -- from No. 1 General Motors
> to No. 200 Sanwa Bank -- are growing faster than overall economic growth
> and together top the combined economies of all but the 10 largest
countries.

> * Big companies employ fewer than 1% of all workers and pay
proportionately
> little in U.S. taxes, while racking up sales that account for 27.5% of
GDP.

to the list moderator at <meisenscher at igc.org>, who will determine whether it is appropriate for redistribution. You can temporarily suspend delivery by sending a request to the same address. Notify the moderator at the time you want delivery resumed. You can also manage this function yourself by going to the list at <www.igc.topica.com/lists/Solidarity4Ever.