lbo-talk-digest V1 #3704

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Wed Dec 6 06:12:49 PST 2000

Marco wrote:

>No, I'd think that most nations in sub-saharan africa are too poor to pay
>even a few dollars for an HIV test to diagnose someone with AIDS. They
>only pay a few dollars a year per person on health care period.

>From I've heard, there is a practice in many african countries to
declare AIDS as a cause of death, simply by symptoms. This is due to a lack of medical facilities and money. This certainly inflates the estimates of AIDS deaths; however, it doesn't destroy the 'viral myth'. When one is trying to debunk a hypothesis, one shouldn't look at the poorer measurements done, but at the good ones.

Barry