Max Weber's Genteel Racism (was Re: weber)

Wed Dec 6 13:56:12 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>It is anachronistic & culturalist to make capitalist rationality --
>racialized into "European rationality" by Weber & Co. -- the cause
>of capitalism.

So do you buy Blaut's "prevailing winds" theory of the rise of European imperialism? Or did something happen internally in Europe that made primitive accumulation on a global scale possible?

CB: I think it was use of force and violence externally that made primitive accumulation on a global scale possible. Would have been difficult to accumulate globally by only doing things internal to Europe.