Science

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 12:43:46 PST 2000

As you know, I am a flat-headed scientific realist. I do not think that truth is socially constructed. Warrant comes from legitimating beliefs, not from the objects investigated. Truth may be a relation of correspondance between scientific sentences and the things of which they are true. Warrant isn't. It derives from the relations between the warranting beliefs that we hops make the truth of the warranted belief more probable.

Actuallly I don't think it's harder or easier to do science whatever your metaphysical position. Most experimental physicists I knwo are classical logical empiricists. Relativity physicsa re realists as a rule; quantum physicists are antirealists. It doesn't seem to matter to scientific practice what one things on this matter.

--jks

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com