Max Weber's Genteel Racism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 7 16:35:29 PST 2000

A possessive investor in Max Weber's stock is in deep denial:

>At 11:34 AM 12/7/00 -0500, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>>At 08:00 AM 12/7/00 -0500, Michael wrote:
>>>
>>>Perhaps. The original question was whether or not he was a racist. And
>> >I'm arguing that no, theoretically he was not.
>>
>>But that question is irrelevant, at least outside cultish grouplets.
>
>not really. yoshie wasn't just claiming that W had
>ethnocentric/eurocentric stereotypes but, rather, that his work was
>premised on, according to yoshie, a claim that europeans were
>rational while others were not. of course, the point is that weber
>doesn't use rational to describe europe and irrational to describe
>others.

Max Weber wrote: "The highly developed historical scholarship of China did not have the method of Thucydides. Machiavelli, it is true, had predecessors in India; but all Indian political thought was lacking in a systematic method comparable to that of Aristotle, and, indeed, in the possession of _rational_ concepts. Not all the anticipations in India (School of Mimamsa), nor the extensive codification especially in the Near East, nor all the Indian and other books of law, had the strictly systematic forms of thought, so essential to a _rational_ jurisprudence, of the Roman law and of the Western law under its influence. A structure like the canon law is known only to the West" (emphasis mine, Max Weber, _The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism_, Trans. Talcott Parsons, London & NY: Routledge, 1992, p. 14).

It mystifies me why you can't see the dichotomy that Weber makes between the "rational West" and the "irrational Rest" extending all the way back to the days of Thucydides. It's plain as daylight. What's the point of denial? It's not as though your intellectual portfolio would go down if the Max Weber stock went down due to the proof that he was a Eurocentrist. It's not that you would get paid better if your Max Weber were proven not to be a Eurocentrist either. I suppose that this type of intellectual investment in the Great Men of the so-called "Western Civilization" is a superstructural vehicle through which cultural racism gets reproduced. The psychological "wages of whiteness" that many scholars have come to analyze.

Yoshie

P.S. No wonder that the late & lamented Jim M. Blaut was driven to distraction by rage against the systematic investment in the idea of the "West," so much so that he ended up committing the opposite error. Tragically dialectical. R.I.P., my dear friend Jim.

P.P.S. I'm claiming more than you attribute to me. I'm saying that Max Weber committed an intellectual crime of anachronism, akin to an anachronistic argument that Socrates was "gay."