Exaggerating the Stalin Terror

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Thu Dec 7 18:34:41 PST 2000

Although I don't like to get into discussions about dead Russians, I do think the numbers of Stalin's victims has been highly exaggerated. I base this on evidence that is common knowledge.

First, between 1914 and late 1917 unequipped-under equipped Russian soldiers were killed or died of wounds and sickness in the millions. The slaughter was so bad the Russian army fell apart. Then following this disintegration of Russian society there was a civil war, foreign intervention, plague, flu, famine, you name it. Millions more died, including millions of civilians.

Now with this huge loss of vital population between 1914 and 1922, if that many people had died during Stalin's reign between 1924 and 1941, then the Russians could never have fielded or supported an army capable of defeating the most modern and organized military machine in the world!

They just wouldn't have had the numbers to do it.

I also don't doubt that Stalin whacked a lot of his fellow -ists and -ites.

Tom Lehman