Max Weber's Genteel Racism (was Re: weber)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 8 06:49:59 PST 2000

At 02:39 PM 12/7/00 -0500, Yoshi charges:
>You are far more post-modern (or nominalist) than I am.

You are breaking my heart, woman. I ain't no pomo nominalist, I is a conceptualist of a Kantian/Durkheimian variety. Me think generalizations are heuristic devices describing reality. They are socially constructed, but nonetheless subject to empirical falsification. That is to say, if the reason sees a necessity in reality it is only because it has not enouctered or has been incapable of searching for the counterfactual. Converesely, if the reason sees contradictions in reality, it does so only because it created them and then projected onto reality itself. Either case is an indication that the reason is doing something wrong, namely engaging in what that old dude Barthes called mythology and the even older dude Eliade called hierophany.

wojtek