Nullities

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 8 09:40:42 PST 2000

At 12:05 PM 12/8/00 -0500, Gordon wrote:
>Wojtek Sokolowski:
>> As to the "battle against racism" - it was fought and won in the 50s and
>> 60s. What we have today is a grievance manufacturing industry that
>> commodifies the battle cries from that period to market the intellectual
>> commodity it manufactures. True, not much different from other industries,
>> but why should I revere it?
>
>There's still a good deal of "objective racism", that is,
>racist practice without overt profession of racist theory.
>Most of it occurs at lower economic levels, which is nothing
>new, as in, for example, police practice and public education.
>Racial distinctions are also essential in real estate.

I just cannot believe I'm getting drawn into this crap again.......

Yes, there is plenty of bigotry in this country and elsewhere - racism, anti-semitism, male chauvinism, or simply foreigner-hating, I encounter that crap quite regularly. But to admit its existence is one thing, but to link evry imaginable evil to it is something much different. As I said to Carrol, I spent my formative years flashing my finger at vanguard party luminaries, but I forget to add "and grievenace manufacturers." I was surrounded by unpublished writers and penniless academics eager to blame "the system" for their own failures and lack of initiative. Truly nauseating - can't help to show my disgust each time I see it.

wojtek