Weber against Marx (was Re: Nullities)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Dec 8 13:52:10 PST 2000

At 09:00 PM 12/7/00 -0500, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>So, naturally, Carrol & I are not complaining that Weber did not write a
>book that we wanted him to write. He could not have, for his thought was
>based upon the rejection of Marx. Hence his _liberal pessimism & the Iron
>Cage_.
>
>Yoshie

rejection is a little strong, particularly if you take into consideration his rethinking of marxism in his later work and his very clear respect for marxist *anlaysis* in some respects and a clear rejection of marxist politics in many others.

so, like, D'OH that he was involved in the historian's methodenstreit and D'OH he was speaking to debates over marxist scholarship which had waxed and waned and D'OH he rejected the statist politics of marxism at the time.

D'OH.

nonetheless, you do precisely what i say. carrol kept saying, "but what about the origins of capitalism" -- that's not what weber was after and he had deep reservations about such theorizing. and you, here, are on about the fact that he wasn't a marxist.

wow yoshie. how profound. weber was not marx. never thought of that!!!!

i'm shocked.

kelley