weber

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Dec 8 15:06:20 PST 2000

dear j-buoy,

if you read all my posts you will find that at no time have i ever rejected the charge that weber is eurocentric. so, kiss off and, from here on out, keep your posts on list. others are welcome to write me offlist, but you are not.

oh, and HAND and FOAD

kelley

Dear Ms Walker: Have you read Max Weber's Sociology of Religion or Religion of India? Do you have idea why the latter, dependent almost completely on secondary sources, has been subjected to criticism? Are you even aware of the major new work by Toby Huff and Wolfgang Schluchter on Weber and Islam? It seems that you want to free Weber's work from charges of eurocentrism (whatever that means) and racism. This can in fact be done (Schluchter and GN Madan are two important proofs of this) but not by remaining painfully ignorant of what the debates are--no serious scholar doubts that there are tremendous problems in Weber's work on non western religions. Do you even know off the top of your head one or two specific criticisms of Weber's work on non western religions? As you read this post, my guess is that you do not. Of which deep down you are probably proud. Yours, Jan Carowan. _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com