President-Elect Gore

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri Dec 8 15:56:36 PST 2000

> As
> late as 1860, some state legislatures appointed their electors directly.
> And no doubt someone will pipe up to clarify this, so I'll leave it at
> that.
> Marco

I've not been party to lbo granfalloon's instant punditry on post-election stuff in last month but re. above...

9 of original 13 states had state legislatures choose, other four had either direct vote direct vote by congressional district or statewide *or* combination of state legislative/direct vote. Majority of states were selecting via direct vote by Andrew Jackson's presidency in late 1820s. Jackson unsuccessfully pushed for elimination of EC in favor of direct prez election *but* all but South Carolina (25 of 26) chose electors via direct vote by time AJ left office in 1837. SC continued to have state leg. select electors until 1860. There were 33 states by that time (7 new states between 1845 & 1859 all used direct election). Michael Hoover