Weber's Genteel Racism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 8 16:12:44 PST 2000

Joanna wrote:

>But I suppose that to say the Greek Athens didn't determine Athens,
>Georgia doesn't falsify or contradict the statement that the latter
>probably borrowed some of the strength of its argument from the
>former.

It would be interesting to examine what, if anything, slave owners of Athens, Georgia borrowed from ancient Athens by way of legitimation of slavery.

>I'm talking about Aristotle's entelechy, from "en teles echein" --
>to hold or guard or keep or gestate in (a state of anticipated)
>completion or fullness or, well, telos. The acorn anticipates the
>oak tree, the tree represents the ultimate realisation of its
>potential as acorn, but you don't actually have to have an oak tree
>for there to have been an acornic entelechy.

Aristotle was a great man, but, naturally, he was uninformed of what Richard Lewontin, Stephen Jay Gould, Gerald Edelman, etc. have to say about human biology.

Yoshie