Bachelor Machines & Commodity Fetishism (was Cyborgfucking)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 9 10:19:27 PST 2000

>I browsed through Hedy Lamarr's 'autobiography' at a drug
>store counter 35 to 40 years ago. I remember vaguely one
>of her ex-husbands (a big film producer) showed her a
>lifesize (with internal plumbing of sorts) flexible model he
>had had made of her which he could screw??? This would
>be sometime in the '40s I think. Sort of stalking by proxy??
>
>Carrol

That's fascinating (and scary too). Do you know of more stories like it? I'm collecting stories on the theme of the automaton.

Here's a bit on Betty Boop, an animated bachelor machine, at <http://www.heptune.com/boop.html>.

And Barbie: "Once upon a time [in the 1950s] in faraway Germany existed a cartoon character named Lili. This playgirl was a regular in the comic strips of Das Bild, a German tabloid of similar repute as The Inquirer. The Lili doll, 11.5 inches with buxom breasts, was intended to be an adult male's sex pet and was sold in tobacconists and bars. The blond German beauty came in two different (sexy) outfits: the child-like baby doll lingerie look and the tight leggings/bare midriff bad-girl look" (at <http://www.nondairy.com/People/Raven/Barbie.html>). "However, because of Barbie's questionable origin, the Mattel company created the 'Ruth Handler story' to cover Barbie's controversial history. The story stating that 'Ruth Handler (the 'creator' of Barbie) saw how much her own daughter Barbra loved to play with paper dolls, so she came up with the idea of translating the fashion doll concept into three dimensions' (Erica Rand, _Barbie's Queer Accessories_ 29)" (at <http://www.ucr.edu/classes/fvc/fvc143/BARBIE.htm>).

Today, Japan has taken over the production of bachelor machines. Behold the proliferation of Hentai Anime (e.g., <http://www.free-thought.com/>). Yikes!

Yoshie

P.S. An apology for over-posting again!