Science

jan carowan jancarowan at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 10 14:04:17 PST 2000

However, in the 1970s
>when Christopher Philippidis who had been a graduate
>student of Bohm, pursued reaearch aimed at calculating
>the shape of the quantum potential. He then applied
>these calculations to a consideration of the Ehrenberg-
>Siday-Aharonov-Bohm (ESAB) effect. Whereas, the
>conventional interpretation of QM took this effect as
>indicating the existence of nonlocality, within
>Bohm's causal interpretation of QM, this effect is explicalble
>in terms of the quantum potential which while modified
>by the presence of an electrical field is not diminished
>by distance.

Mr Farmelant, Yet the mystery does not dissipate. the quantum potential and the guide wave generates apparently moves a photon (or any other particle) without exerting anything we would recognize as force. But if a guide wave cannot exert a force, then how do photons respond to it? Are we to assume that the photon receives and "interprets" this guiding information?! And if one wants to insist that the photon behaves like a simple classical particle, responding only to the quantum potential and guide wave as its specific location, then one has to conclude that the guide wave itself carries information from every part of the apparatus. the guide wave must in fact explore all parts of an apparatus at once , so as to be abel to relay the necessary information to the particle.

> >Einstein presumed that sense experience can be
> > understood in
> > terms of an idea of some external reality whose spatially separated
> > parts
> > are independent realities, in the sense that they depend on each
> > other only
> > via connections that respect space time separation in the usual way:
>
>Bohm came to the conclusion that Einstein's assumptions
>on this did indeed have to be modified. A return to classical
>physics was forever forclosed but that Einstein's quest for
>a casual interpretation of quantum mechanics was
>not thereby (contrary to Bohr & Heisenberg) ruled out.

Well, I certainly cannot rule anything out. Do remember that this debate began with Mr Heartfield's declaration that the criterion for objectivity must be more than intersubjectivity; this is a difficult, though not impossible view, to sustain in light of the findings of quantum mechanics, the most profound of of which is Bell's Theorem. Perhaps you will tell Mr Heartfield that he has revealed himself to be a complete faker in joking that Bell would be read long after Einstein has been forgotten.

> > instaneous connections are excluded. But the existence of such a
> > reality
> > lying behind the world of observed phenomena is precisely what
> > Bell's
> > theorem--not the Tao of physics--proves to be impossible.
>
>Bell, himself BTW saw Bohm's hidden varaibles theory as
>being nonlocal just as he saw conventional QM. His own
>work on this subject owed much to Bohm

OK. Thank you for the contribution.

Yours, Jan

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com