local capitalism? (was Re: Queen's Speech, NSPCC, Nice

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Mon Dec 11 08:45:33 PST 2000

whoops, sorry about the blank post.

I wonder if student activists have anything to say about local capitalism vs. global capitalism (see http://www.ips-dc.org/student.htm ) I'm going to read this later. You need Adobe Acrobat to download it.

There's Patrick Bond's comments in the recent LBO. Also Marxist Mayor "Red Ken" Livingstone talks briefly about devolution in this Nation interview: http://thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20001218&s=guttenplan

Livingstone says: "I suspect the real challenge is not going to come from any Western city. It's going to come from the excluded people. The question is, What is the left going to do to work with the forces bubbling up from below, people like Lula in Brazil, around the world? What sort of alliance of forces is going to effectively challenge American economic hegemony? It will be when India or China decides to make a stand. My guess is that fifteen or twenty years down the road the Chinese will say, We don't really think the dollar deserves to be the global reserve currency. At that point, what might Europe do? That'll be the most dangerous time since the Cuban missile crisis, as America loses that predominant position and has to accept that it shares power with other peoples, the majority of whom aren't white."

Sounds reasonable, but he believes in Kondratieff long-wave cycles. Does anyone else anymore?

Peter