W. Stands for Wrongful -- II

Leo Casey leoecasey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 18:19:13 PST 2000

It was not my words, but the phrasing of an article I forwarded. However, I would have no problem defending it. Democratic governance is not an all or nothing proposition: it is clearly a spectrum, in which we can talk intelligibly about more democratic and less democratic systems. For example, for a whole host of reasons which I will be happy to explicate if you want to discuss them, I think that Canada and the UK are more democratic than the US. "One person, one vote" does make a significant difference: look at South Africa. It is not the totality of democratic governance, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a great deal more democratic than the alternative.

The point, as I see it, is to expand the terrain of democracy, to make government more democratic. What is appalling about the "Scalia doctrine" that there is no right to suffrage is that it attacks directly what was a common assumption of American political life for decades -- certainly since the Voting Rights Act, if not back unto the 17th Amendment establishing direct election for senators. It is hard to imagine a more radical "turning back of the clock." To ignore that because we have not yet arrived at the New Jerusalem of democratic government is, IMHO, a tragic error.

> > Leo Casey:
> > No wonder W. is in hiding: He's taking power by
> > virtue
> > of votes not counted, because of the Electoral
> > College's bias against one-person, one-vote, and
> > now
> > on the wings of a ringing assault on popular
> > rule.

> Gordon Fitch responded:
> So if, say, we had a direct popular vote for
> president
> in a community whose politics and media were
> dominated by
> associations of rich, powerful people, and where
> the needs,
> desires and will of the great majority of the
> population were
> ignored, this would be "one person, one vote"?

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --