subversion of information

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Dec 12 16:52:42 PST 2000

kelley:
> another form of a semantic attack is Emulex and other similar
> incidents: information is circulated via the net, pumping up a stocks'
> price and, in this case, a false press release exacerbated what is only
> just a stepped up, hyper-version of what happens all the time with stocks.
>
> which is why i write: are there preInternet precursors to Emulex?

I don't know if it's a precursor, but agents were sent forth to carefully and deceptively enter chat rooms, newsgroups, mailing lists and so forth in the guise of teen-age fans in order to celebritize the hitherto little-known Christine Aguilera, as part of a public-relations campaign to build her up to major recording-star status. Or so they said.