The Jim Crow Five and the Coming Political War

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 13 11:28:50 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Which is why the struggle will have to be in the streets and at the ballot
>box and in the workplaces across the country and in alliances around the
>world.
>
>As far as I'm concerned, this is an incredibly great result, with the
>legitimacy of the Right shredded and our folks mobilized with the taste of
>bile in their mouths.

I hope you're right. I suspect what we'll see instead, over the coming weeks, are calls for national unity, the pragmatic bipartisan tackling of the tasks at hand, an end to divisiveness, celebrations of how the system really works despite its messiness, etc. etc. Bet you the Dems and all their satellite groups will be active partners in this endeavor. I hope you're right and I'm wrong though.

Doug