No subject

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Dec 13 14:40:00 PST 2000

well, i'm overlimit, but you know, i just got done listening to joseph lowery. for all the high and mighty talk of the C and hand wringing over what to do and where to go from here, i can only say that maybe someday we need to get a little passion to light this fire for change we're supposed to have. this matters to people, seems to me, who can remember what it took to get the shite treatment they got in this state. why exactly did it take so long for anyone on this fucking list to get a grip about the civil rights issues? wasn't for my lack of trying, posting everything i learned as quickly as i learned it, only to face some pooh poohing about how it was an empty dem tactic. yeah, well maybe, but so much for the people in this state and across the country that got shat on right and left -- because no one from the mainstream wanted to pay attention, while the rest of the left was busy yawning or accusing everyone else of opportunism.

we ought to weep and then get angry because some people in this country feel that they are being rolled back. the motif in lowery's speech was: we will not be rolled back.

imagine what it was like to have a decision handed down, signed by clarence thomas. well... listen to black people talking about unity--republican or democrat, ALL of our rights were smashed. listen to them talk about faith in something overriding this moment (and i have none, so i guess that makes me a nostaligizing, romanticizing whitey, whatever...). listen to them talk about struggle, about endurance for the long haul. about something other than this coldly calculating b.s. that takes place here. listen to them manage to talk about this in a way that frame both of the p.o.s parties right out of the picture without reducing it to the kinds of b.s. convos we have here. as joseph lowery said, to paraphrase, here's your prescription georgie, here's the bitter medicine we're going to cram down your throat... and it wasn't the dems shoved down his throat, but the claim (true or not) that we are in this together and against you, because you're the most immediate enemy.

i don't know, but it all brought back my torment prior to the election. conservatives are a scary, slimey bunch. one would hope that they will be gridlocked, but after this ruling? i have little hope for anything of the sort and imagine that they are emboldened once again.

incoherently and hypocritically,

kelley