Familiar sound of New Dems sucking up

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Dec 14 07:42:14 PST 2000

Clinton calls for an end to election rancour

By Gerard Baker in Washington and FT.com staff

Published: December 14 2000 03:07GMT | Last Updated: December 14 2000 14:59GMT

US President Bill Clinton on Thursday called on the

nation to end the "rancour" caused by the divisive

presidential election battle, and offered his full support to

the incoming administration of president-elect George

W. Bush.

Speaking on the third and final day of a visit to Ireland

and the UK, Mr Clinton praised defeated candidate Al

Gore for the contribution made during his administration

in his role as vice-president.

"I don't think that now is the time to do anything other than follow vice-president

Gore's lead. He spoke for all of us last night, and he did it eloquently and well.

President- elect Bush responded with generosity in kind, I thought, in his

remarks," Mr Clinton said.

http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3F9X4BQGC&liv e=true&tagid=IXLYK5HZ8CC