legitimation crisis postponed?

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 09:06:12 PST 2000

<< Perhaps, though I suspect that (at the very least) one in five Americans has always thought of the U.S. government as illegitimate since the anti-Vietnam War movement, >>

Seems way, way to optimistic to me.

Many people can believe the US government is wrong. Most in the US probably do, for most things most of the time. To consider it illegitimate is something else.

This is hard to check, since I doubt whether Gallup has ever asked Americans whether or not they ever considered the president to be holding office illegitimately (itself of interest). If there is a modern historical parallel, it might be the start of the Ford presidency, where an unelected partisan president-by-crisis pardoned a crook, at a time of much deeper progressive power. I seriously doubt that at the time one would have found one in five Americans who would have believed that Ford was not *really* the President, that he held the office illegitimately, even though he was clearly in there as part of a corrupt political deal.

There is a big mental step that one must take to go from saying "that goddamn crooked President" to "that goddamn crooked coup leader."

----Original Message Follows---- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: legitimation crisis postponed? Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:26:23 -0500

Gregory says:

>So one in five Americans consider the president illegitimate. Sounds
>like a nice start to a legitimization crisis to me...

Perhaps, though I suspect that (at the very least) one in five Americans has always thought of the U.S. government as illegitimate since the anti-Vietnam War movement, despite the mass media & the governing elite's indefatigable efforts to rewrite history & manufacture consent. The problem in recent decades has been, among other things, due to (1) demobilization since the end of the anti-war movement; and (2) the mass media's successful efforts to minimize & trivialize protests (against the Gulf War, for instance), often refusing to cover them altogether.

Seattle, etc. may have broken the vicious circle of (actual & imaginary) demobilization & demoralization.

About (2), see the following articles by my good friend Eric Swank:

Swank, Eric. 1993/1994. "Shall We Overcome?: The Sense of Power Among Gulf War Protesters." _Critical Sociology_ 20:31-51.

Swank, Eric. 1997. "The Ebbs and Flows of Gulf Protests." _Journal of Military and Political Sociology_ 25:211-29.

Swank, Eric. 2000. "Who Can You Trust?: Determining the Credibilities of Newspapers that Cover Protest Mobilizations." _Research in Social Movements, Conflict, and Change_ 22.

>IF there were left organizations with enough power, or even desire,
>to push this fight. Which there aren't.

Enough power, no, but desire, yes.

At 12:02 AM -0600 12/14/00, Lou Paulsen wrote:
> [...]
>compromise and unity, we WILL be listened to. We will be heard, yes, by
>the
>youth, by the workers, by the poor, by the masses. If not by millions -
>then by thousands. But who knows? There are moments every once in a while
>when we, yes, the 150 people on this list in the US, yes, the relatively
>small numbers in WWP and in all the parties and formations represented
>here,
>we are presented with an opportunity to AFFECT HISTORY.
>
>Every sufficiently organized and angry person in this country who CAN make
>it to DC WILL make it to DC. Do you think the anti-globalization youth are
>going to miss this? They are making their own plans. What about Florida?
>Is it out of the question that thousands from the oppressed communities in
>Florida will come up to have their voices heard if not their votes? CAN
>you sit this out? CAN you stay at home and watch it on television??
>
>This is a list full of Marxists. Marxism is not a religion or a social
>science or a hobby. It is a commitment to CHANGE THE WORLD. In a country
>like the US that is a damned difficult proposition. And among the chief
>difficulties is the "civil religion" of the US, as it has been called - the
>belief in the system, in voting, in the constitution, in the wisdom of the
>forefathers, in the impartial courts, in pledging allegiance to the flag,
>in
>the "best government on earth, for all its flaws." It is a more choking
>and
>paralyzing dogma than any manifestation of Christianity or any other
>religious fundamentalism. Now, unpredicted by anyone, the noxious clouds
>of
>this dogma have momentarily been dissipated. WE DO NOT GET THIS KIND OF
>OPPORTUNITY EVERY YEAR, or EVERY DECADE. This is our opportunity to
>AGITATE - to POLITICALLY EDUCATE - to fan the flames of the anger of the
>masses. Furthermore, it is an opportunity that comes just as a recession
>is
>about to hit.
>
>I am addressing this to EVERYONE here in the US. I don't demand or expect
>that you march under WW's banners. You can like us, tolerate us, respect
>us, scorn us, trust us, mistrust us, hate us, WHATEVER. March under
>whatever banners you feel like. Organize however you feel is appropriate.
>I'd like you to endorse it, but if you don't want to, don't. But come!! If
>there is a city, a state, or for that matter a campus, a union, a stratum,
>'sphere' where WWP is weak or nonexistent and your group / circle /
>tendency
>is stronger, this is your chance to show how much better you can organize
>than us! But please, DO, recognize the importance of this thing. Do
>organize for it. Don't miss this historic opportunity. GET ON THE BUS.
>But first, GET THE BUS.
>
>Down with the racist dictatorship of the rich! Protest the inauguration!

Yoshie

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com