lbo-talk-digest V1 #3742 (Quote Kvetching)

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 04:48:34 PST 2000

I wholly support Barry's campaign against excessive quotage. However, in the best spirit of lbo-talk, I would like to at this point express my support for his campaign by ridiculing it, accusing him of basically being a tool of the overquoters and generally to imply that his efforts are worthless unless he joins my own personal campaign against the word "ilk" and the clause "different than". I realise that Barry has no obvious interest in grammar kvetching, and that it's entirely orthogonal to his campaign against quoting, but someone's got to do it; I really think that things have come to a pretty pass if we're reduced to giving someone credit where it's due rather than vilifying them over minor ideological deviations.

Meanwhile, I prepare to protest like a wounded fawn if Doug points out that overposting is the real issue, rather than overquoting or irritating grammar. I demand that the left form a coalition to deal with all three of these issues, while of course simultaneously and vehemently shooting down all actual attempts to form one.

solidarity forever

dd