Silverstein on Dees

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 08:04:26 PST 2000

I'm with Wojtek here. Silverstein is mad at Dees because (1) he's rich, a very bad thing; (2) he spends his time beating up on the Klan, a moribund force, ignoring the fact that insofar as it is, Dees has a lot to do with that; moreover, having close friends who have lost husbands to the Klan and the Nazis, I am unimpressed by claims about their harmlessness; (3) Dees monitors hate groups in a supposedly anti-civil-libertarian way and shares his information with law enforcement; apparently we shouldn't be bothered with what people who want to kill us and sometimes to are up to, nor tell the authorities about their plans to kill us; (4) a bunch of people don't like him because he doesn't do as much death penalty and other socially conscious work as they would like, abd (5) unlike everyone else, hes ends out vacuous fundindraising letters.

This is a reason to run a campaign against Dees? Silverstein and Cockburn are full of shit. Dees does good work shutting down the Klan. He may or may not be a jerk. He might do more than he does. What he does is good. I am not impressed by this attack and I am frank;y surprised that you are, Doug.

--jks