From Insult to Manual Labor

Leo Casey leoecasey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 15 11:04:19 PST 2000

I have to admit that I, also, had no idea what the term Sheeney meant. I thought it was a typo for Sweeney -- it didn't make a lot of sense, but then, neither did the posting as a whole. But I still wonder, was there a big lacuna in my street education, or is it an archaic insult, such that we are witnessing a kind of pedantic anti-Semitism? I know pedantic anti-Semitism sounds oxymoronic, but I find the whole episode really peculiar to begin with. Why would someone post anti-Semitic insults here of all places?

Having actually spent some considerable time in windowless factories as a wage laborer, I find the cult of manual labor to be a particular fetish of workerist _intellectuals_. It reminds me of the line in the _German Ideology_, where Marx waxes poetic abour Communism in terms of hunting in the morning, fishing in the afternoon and doing philosophy after dinner. It is a rather pregnant formulation, begging for deconstruction -- how interesting that he would choose the main activities of a hunting and gathering society [the return to the glorious, unalienated past], but present them in a form that evokes their status in the modern world -- as hobbies and avocations. The real world of relying on hunting and gathering is not so idyllic. So, too, for those who find glory in manual labor -- when you have to do it to stay alive, it's a different story.