O Happy Day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 15 11:18:24 PST 2000

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer wrote:

>Ah, Doug. Don't be such a Yalie. Digging ditches is honest, vibrant work.

I'm not totally innocent of manual labor. Spent three summers working in the merchant marine; I've also washed dishes, unloaded trucks, and worked in a warehouse. I never found any of it "vibrant." As for "honest," there's plenty of honest work in the world that doesn't involve heavy physical work. I like to think that much of what I do now is in the service of honesty, but opinions may differ.

Yoshie, of course, had my number; I'm a Marxist-Wildeist.

Doug