O Happy Day

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 15 10:42:22 PST 2000

>I'm not totally innocent of manual labor. Spent three summers working
>in the merchant marine; I've also washed dishes, unloaded trucks, and
>worked in a warehouse. I never found any of it "vibrant." As for
>"honest," there's plenty of honest work in the world that doesn't
>involve heavy physical work. I like to think that much of what I do
>now is in the service of honesty, but opinions may differ.
>
>Yoshie, of course, had my number; I'm a Marxist-Wildeist.
>
>Doug

Merchant marine? I'm genuinely impressed. I was in the Army for three years, but from what I know of the MMs, yours probably was the tougher gig.

What I meant by "vibrant" work is physical labor that leads to something desirable -- in my case, a new fenceline and car port. As for honesty, well, as you say, opinions may differ.

I'm intrigued by the hostility to some of my posts in this thread. I don't think I've said anything outrageous; and to the degree I've been misunderstood, I've tried to clarify my position. There's a certain level of defensiveness here, what with the "anti-intellectual" and "macho" comebacks. Jesus, you'd think I pissed off Norman Podhoretz!

DP