From Insult to Manual Labor

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 15 12:50:04 PST 2000

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> I knew it. It _is_ a bit old fashioned. But I didn't have to look it up.
> --jks

I can't remember where or when I 'learned' it but I recognized it at once for what it is. It gave me quite a start to see it on lbo. Pound has a reference somewhere to "Schoeney's Daughters" but I couldn't find it so I don't know whether or not it's a play on "sheeney." (I had never heard "himey" before Jackson's use of it blew up a storm.) Political correctness (I use the term positively) is having some success in depriving bigots of the language in which to preserve their consciousness and solidarity.

Carrol