Labor: Menial vs. Noble

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 16 16:07:12 PST 2000

>Demonstrate that "academic jargon" (as you define it) has
>appeared in any substantial number of posts on a given
>day.
>
>Then demostrate that the academic jargon is indeed
>a special jargon.
>
>I don't think you can do it. And I don't think you had
>anything in mind when you wrote this post. You are
>just going along with the mindless assumption that of
>course if people have degrees they use a special
>language.
>
>Prove it. Or admit that you were slandering several 10s of
>thousands of people.
>
>Carrol

My dear, upbeat, radiant Carrol: When I want to slander someone, or several 10s of thousands, I'm pretty direct about it, and usually go straight for the balls and throat. My comment about academic jargon wasn't slander. Trust me. As for examples, I don't save many of these posts, but I have two recent ones by Yoshie -- not to single out wise Yosh, whose posts I usually enjoy (when I understand them), but this is all I have at the moment. When I see more, I'll let you know.

> The rejection of workerism should go together
>with that of productivism (production for the sake of production,
>driven by M-C-M') as well.

I have never heard this kind of language uttered by non-academics, nor by workers themselves. For one thing, there's not one "motherfucker" or "cocksucker" included. I know Yoshie's parents were working-class; but did they talk this way?

>Here's an entry from Samuel Pepys' diary to confirm your thought on
>the prohibition being constitutive of pornography as genre:

Now, I don't know if this is jargon or just bad writing. But the meaning is lost on me. Call me Rube.

DP