O Happy Day

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 16 16:20:21 PST 2000

>they were not quite howls of outrage DP, they were pretty annoyed replies
>to your exceeding juvenile response to my earlier post. you asked me 'what
>the fuck i was talking about' (forgive me if that's not an exact quote, i
>wouldn't want to lose a single nuance), and i answered. i suspect my
>mistake lies in imagining that you were actually asking a question

Yes, I remember that post. Denser than dogshit frozen into mud. I honestly did not know what the fuck you were talking about. Not a dismissal, but an honest question.

>you enjoy your work? great, so do i. but far too many people who manually
>'labor' do not find it to be a source of great creative joy in their lives.
>far too many people, DP.

Well, you must have missed my many posts where I acknowledged this and other horrors -- some of which I've known firsthand. Most of my life my labor has been, to my mind, degrading, tedious and pointless; but I've finally reached a place where, yes, I take pride and joy in my work. If that pisses you off, so be it.

>so i take it personally yes, but at a more abstract level -- though you
>seem to only have a personal voice -- i think it is dangerous for people
>interested in improving the reward, respect and opportunities available to
>people not privileged by the work they do within our social systems to
>resort to this dodgy romantic vision of work, workers, the working-class,
>manual labor and so on.

Here, again, I have no idea what you are saying. Simplify? Edit?

>congratulations again, that's possibly the least convincing exit from a
>topic of debate i've seen in a year. i would ask you what on earth is wrong
>with discussing either of these topics, and why they are not significant,
>but i surmise that this dismissal is not really something you care about
>either. you're apparently been humorous and high-spirited.
>
>catherine

Now how could I truly exit when there are such charming people, like yourself, to converse with?

DP