Bill Hicks

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Dec 17 08:14:12 PST 2000

http://www.indexoncensorship.org/600/hic.htm

[This site has a transcript of the act comedian Bill Hicks performed on Letterman in '93 that was censored. Here's a taste. Warning, it's kind of morbid.]

Bill: You know who’s really bugging me these days. These pro-lifers ... (Smattering of applause.)

Bill: You ever look at their faces? ‘I’m pro-life!’ (Bill makes a pinched face of hate and fear, his lips are pursed as though he’s just sucked on a lemon.)

Bill: ‘I’m pro-life!’ Boy, they look it don’t they? They just exude joie de vie. You just want to hang with them and play Trivial Pursuit all night long.

(Audience chuckles.)

Bill: You know what bugs me about them? If you’re so pro-life, do me a favour – don’t lock arms and block medical clinics. If you’re so pro-life, lock arms and block cemeteries.

(Audience laughs.)

Bill: Let’s see how committed you are to this idea. (Bill mimes the pursed lipped pro-lifers locking arms.)

Bill: (as pro-lifer) She can’t come in!

(Audience laughs.)

Bill: (as confused member of funeral procession) She was 98. She was hit by a bus!

(Audience laughs.)

Bill: (as pro-lifer) There’s options!

(Audience laughs.)

Bill: (as confused member of funeral procession) What else can we do? Have her stuffed?

(Audience laughs. )

Bill: I want to see pro-lifers with crowbars at funerals opening caskets – ‘get out!’ Then I’d be really impressed by their mission.

(Audience laughs and applauds.)