Hard work

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Dec 18 07:07:57 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> Moreover, work time should be as short as possible.

Well, what about all these people who think that labor -- hard, difficult labor -- is spiritually meaningful, even ennobling, that it connects them with humankind in some profound way? What about Krishna who says, "If I did not work, this world would perish?" Some people take it very, very seriously; but maybe that's just part of their oppression?

And here's another tidbit. The scene is a large political rally on the streets of New York.

Orator: "Jobs, not jails!"

Punk rocker: "What's the difference?"

Just trying to be as meaningfully contradictory as possible, trying to understand the mystery of work from a leftist, apparently contradictory, point of view.

Have big manual labor cred which I'll pull out and show everyone if desired. I hated it -- goes with the territory -- but it made a man out of me -- not necessarily a good thing, but the world's a tough place for non-men.