Hot to Trot

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 19 08:38:08 PST 2000

Talk about misrepresentation? Leo, do you really have a Ph.D? I mean, I ask because I do not understand how anyone who has actually read Labor Notes or any of the Parker-Slaughter cxollections could actually say that they "refuse to take up issues of control over the labor process."

Leo, that is virtually the sole concern of the Labor Notes crowd. If they can be criticized for anything, it is too narrow a focus on the labor process and neglect of wider politics off the shop floor, struggles for social unionism in a broad sense. That is _my_ beef with them. But apparently you think that only buying into the Team Concept counts as engaging with the control of the labor process. Sheesh.

And, although I did not think about it at the time, Dennis is right that the Trot reference is just redbaiting. Labor Notes is NOT Trot. Solidarity is NOT Trot. I am not and never have been a Trot. That is, as they say, a red herring. Calling militant rank and filr trade unionists "Trots" --is that how a democratic labor movemnent works?

--jks

>why a
>particular type of workerist strategy which refuses to
>take up issues of control over the labor process and
>knowledge is,
... .

This mindless engagement in habitual,