Hot to Trot

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Dec 19 08:41:33 PST 2000

Leo Casey wrote:
>Furthermore, the day when labor solidarity depends
>upon shutting down open debate over strategies, on
>muffling criticisms and differences

-When Sandra Feldman refused to appear on a speakers' platform with -"avowed Communists," was she violating this rule?

What kind of speakers' platform? If it is a platform that implies agreement on strategies, anyone has the right to refuse such a joint appearance. And a lot of avowed Communists rightly refuse to appear on the same stage as their opponents, whether rightwing or even liberal.

Physical joint appearances - which are always charged with specific political meanings and thereby constitute action in real ways- is a very different question from whether folks engage at a more broad level in theoretical debate considering different and even opposing views.

I don't like red-baiting but the continue right-baiting of Leo is of the same moral character.

-- Nathan Newman