Crushing the Colin Powell Myth

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Wed Dec 20 03:28:47 PST 2000

What this tells me is that Powell is one of those quintessential "organization men," ready and willing to server his superiors, maybe even regardless of the issues involved. Nothing special in that. There are plenty of them around, in the military, in government, in business, in law. One can get far that way, if one is lucky to find the right people to help.

But I don't know if that qualifies anyone to become a Secretary of State.

For that matter, when I look at Madeleine Albright's vita, I see pretty much the same thing, except that instead of rising through the ranks of the military, she rose through the ranks of the foreign policy establishment as a foreign policy clone.

I've just about finished reading Edward Luttwak's "Turbo-Capitalism" (because the coworker with whom I drive to work insisted on listening to Thomas Friedman's book on tape of "The Lexus and the Olive Tree'" -- blagh...yuppie blather). I think Luttwak is much more qualified than either of the two.

By the way, has Jeanne Kirkpatrick kicked the bucket yet?

Peter Kosenko

> > Major Powell undertook the assignment to review Glen's letter, but did so
> > without questioning Glen or assigning anyone else to talk with him. Powell
> > simply accepted a claim from Glen's superior officer that Glen was not close
> > enough to the front lines to know what he was writing about, an assertion
> > Glen denies.
> >
> > After that cursory investigation, Powell drafted a response on Dec. 13,
> > 1968. He admitted to no pattern of wrongdoing. Powell claimed that U.S.
> > soldiers in Vietnam were taught to treat Vietnamese courteously and
> > respectfully. The American troops also had gone through an hour-long course
> > on how to treat prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions, Powell noted.
> >
> > "There may be isolated cases of mistreatment of civilians and POWs," Powell
> > wrote in 1968. But "this by no means reflects the general attitude
> > throughout the Division." Indeed, Powell's memo faulted Glen for not
> > complaining earlier and for failing to be more specific in his letter.

Etcetera

============================================================= Peter Kosenko Email: mailto:kosenko at netwood.net URL: http://www.netwood.net/~kosenko Netwood Design Center URL: http://ndc.netwood.net/ ============================================================= "Man is a rational animal. He can think up a reason for anything he wants to believe."--Benjamin Franklin