What did Nader-bashing say about Feminism?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 20 05:38:17 PST 2000

What Did Nader Bashing Say About Feminism? J. Lee Polnachek, AlterNet

December 19, 2000

I knew I needed to take stock of the feminist movement when an eighty-year-old woman noticed my "Another Babe for Nader" button and gave me the finger. It was no small gesture -- she put her whole rail-thin, crisply dressed body into it, jabbing both arms in the air in alternating motions, fingers aloft, energetic and vulgar. "Fuck you!" the aging Upper West Side sophisticate spat at me, "Women are going to die in back alleys because of you!"

[rest of this fine piece, which appeared first in the Women's Review of Books, though Alternet doesn't credit it as such, at <http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=10238>]