Ralph Nader Lashes Back

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 20 06:08:37 PST 2000

>From the Village Voice, a Q&A with Ralph Nader, giving him a chance to
respond to his enemies. http://www.commondreams.org/views/121900-104.htm

One highlight:

Q: Not only were you kept out of the debates, you were more or less kept out of The New York Times. Has the paper of record thwarted your effort to build a third party?

A: The Times believes there should just be two parties, and a party like the Green Party, in that memorable phrase, "clutters" the playing field. A remarkable position for a newspaper that believes in the First Amendment and has excoriated politicians for corrupt campaign funding that the Green Party wanted to eliminate. That will go down as the most indefensible intellectual exercise that ever appeared on New York Times editorial columns, which were basically rantings. The Washington Post invited me to speak at their editorial office, and The Wall Street Journal invited two op-eds. The Times never did either.

Tom Friedman is a source of humor. He's so off the edge that he bellows in his column, he rages, it really makes our day. Here's a man who fancies himself an expert on global trade and has never read global trade agreements. I would give him the nomination as the columnist who has traveled more extensively and regularly around the world and has learned the least.