Cockburn: The Coup

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 13:03:54 PST 2000

Vikash,,

I worked to changed the party for years, in relatively favorable circumstances--Ann Arbor in the 1980s. I was a DP activist, a ward-heeler,a campaign worker. I worked on both Jackson campaigns. My experience was that the regulars and the wealthy interests (as well as well as the unions, in Michigan) that control the party are happy to have our enerhy and initiative, but are not interested in our input as to the direction the party should go. The party opposed every single left initiative I was involved in until (in a few a cases) we had won anyway, in which case they tried to take credit for it. Frankly, in concrete local policy terms, the Ann ARbor GOP was actually better and more responsible to local left initiatives like a homeless shelter. On a national level, I worked to build theRainbow Colaition, and we got nothing out of it, not even a Rainbow Coalition. So, I did this for eight years, and frankly I got tired of it. I doubt whether it would be better in Chicago, where I now live and work. What do you think?

--jks