Cockburn: The Coup

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 20 14:28:10 PST 2000

> After 64 years of absolute failure on the part of the left to influence
> the democratic party, I can't think of anything more idealistic, in
> fact utterly bubble-headed, than trying to change the Democratic
> Party. Why don't you try something relatviely easy, like persuading
> General Motors to finance the construction of a free public
> transportation system? You are living in a dream world.
>
> Carrol

"Absolute Failure"? Loath though I am to defend the Dems -- who I wish would go the Jonestown route -- I must say that there were post-New Deal areas where the left *did* influence the party, primarily the civil rights movement, and to a certain degree the movement against the attack on Vietnam. The feminist movement had an effect, too, but as we have seen under Clinton, that has faded to abortion rights and the SC. Problem is, "the left" are too willing to offer the Dems ideas, only to be kicked in the teeth and short-changed in the bargain. No reach-around here.

DP