Leonard Peltier

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Dec 21 02:57:38 PST 2000

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Brad De Long wrote:

> And how did Peltier get the agents' guns?

I believe it was a single gun -- the others (included the alleged murder weapon) were found with the two men that were acquitted. (I say alleged because the ballistics tests that originally confirmed it seem to have actually disconfirmed it in evidence that came to light after Peltier's trial and which was suppressed during it.) And since the service revolver that was found with Peltier was found 5 months later, left behind in a car he had fled, there seem to be only two explanations: stupidity that boggles the mind; or it was planted. And if you accept the first one, that the gun was being kept as some kind of talisman, in complete ignorance of the laws of evidence and ballistics, it's still only circumstantial evidence. It doesn't even prove he was there, which he's already conceded. So it's by no means a clincher.

Michael