Yoshie Furuhashi (Quote Kvetching)

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 23:55:03 PST 2000

--- Barry Rene DeCicco <bdecicco at umich.edu> wrote: >

> Yoshie - you just copied and pasted three web pages
> to the list, WHICH ARE PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE.
>
> Why? Ego? I don't think that anybody's reading
> them -
> I certainly learned to scoll down past your long,
> useless
> dumps of material.

No fair, I think. Though, as I have mentioned, I wholeheartedly support this campaign (though your reluctance to engage with the "ilk" issue still gives me concern), Yoshie is not actually committing the sin of quotage. The excerpted text should be counted as original material as it isn't quotation of other lbo-talk material, and the activity of actually excerpting the interesting bit saves mugs like me from having to plug halfway down a web-page. I certainly do read the extracts (or at the very least, feel sort of guilty for not doing so, which is almost the same thing).

dd

===== “It is necessarily part of the business of a banker to maintain appearances and to profess a conventional respectability which is more than human. Life-long practices of this kind make them the most romantic and the least realistic of men” -- JM Keynes