Cockburn: The Coup

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 22 13:39:43 PST 2000

>I would still stick to "absolute failure" as applied to affecting the
>Democratic Party -- considerable success in affecting the
>whole establishment, "left" and right, by mass action. If we
>had the mass movement that was behind Civil Rights in the
>'60s we could get as much from Bush as we ever got from
>Kennedy or Johnson (or would have gotten from McGovern).
>
>Various minor complexities aside, the future of the left depends
>above all on delegitimating the Democratic Party.
>
>Carrol

I see what you're getting at, and generally agree. McGovern is a mystery. His acceptance speech in the wee hours of a Miami morning contained a lot of anti-corporate slams (some of which caused Sen. Henry Jackson, ideological father of the DLC, and worse, to wince and withhold his applause), and one wonders if he had won in '72, how his administration would have dealt with Allende.

In my view, the best study of the McGovern campaign remains Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72". HST was very pro-McGovern, and was dismayed by his candidate's late bows to the likes of Richard Daley in order to get votes. Not that it mattered. The McGovern nomination sent the Dems in a rightward direction, and helped to manure the ground for the "neo-conservatives" and, of course, our last two-term prez.

DP