A bit of Cheer [Fwd: [sixties-l] Fwd: Veritas and Vietnam]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 22 15:25:46 PST 2000

Both the anecdote re Vietnam and the sadness of the patriot boy are cheering.

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [sixties-l] Fwd: Veritas and Vietnam Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:11:59 -0800 From: radman <resist at best.com> Reply-To: sixties-l at lists.village.virginia.edu

Veritas and Vietnam

Gore president of Harvard? What will the antiwar protesters do?

BY SETH LIPSKY, Wall Street Journal Thursday, December 21, 2000

A rare uncomfortable moment in my long love affair with Harvard occurred at the 25th reunion of my class.

A "teach-in" had been assembled to talk about Vietnam from the perspective of a generation. A veteran of the war, I'd been invited to speak but had demurred.

Five classmates spoke of their experiences during the war and the struggle against it. One, Peter Francis Hagerty, told how he found himself on a destroyer headed for the Gulf of Tonkin and refused an order to declare his vessel combat-ready. He was threatened with court-martial, but the Navy "backed down," as he also put it in a written entry in the class report, "when faced with the prospect of an Ivy League Officer rotting in their jail."

Less than a year later, he told us, the ship blew up her forward gun mount, killing or blinding many of the crew.

After the Navy, he went to Vietnam to help a left-wing legal defense team for GIs. While visiting a pagoda in the Mekong Delta, he encountered a Viet Cong patrol. He said he spent hours talking to them about baseball and girlfriends. Later, he founded a company called Soviet American Woollens, to trade with the Russians. Now, he told the reunion with what I took to be a tone of irony, he was forming a company to trade with that other enemy of America, the Palestinian Arabs.

When this was greeted with an ovation, I walked out. I left the building and stepped into the sunshine. My wife and son were frolicking there. I said I'd decided to go home, though the reunion had just begun. We held hands as we walked through Harvard Yard to the Freshman Union, where we got a refund. And then we drove back to New York.

[The rest isn't very interesting so I haven't edited out the >s]

My reminiscence is prompted by reports that Al Gore has been nominated to be Harvard's next president. It's a long shot, to