Granfalloons

John Graf jgraf at jvlnet.com
Fri Dec 22 21:56:05 PST 2000

Yes, "granfaloons" has a Kurt Vonnegut connection. His 1974 collection of opinions (Delacourte Press) is titled "Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons." In the preface, Vonnegut explains he used the terms in "Cat's Cradle":

"A wampeter is an object around which the lives of many otherwise unrelated people may revolve. The Holy Grail would be a case in point. Foma are harmless untruths, intended to comfort simple souls. An example: 'Prosperity is just around the corner.' A granfalloon is a proud and meaningless association of human beings."

So, a new word, or two, or three. LBO-talk a granfalloon? Not in my book.

John Graf Janesville, Wisconsin =================