cheerleading

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 23 12:07:10 PST 2000

Peter K. wrote:

> I read the religious Ashcroft doesn't
>smoke, drink, or dance, but he did sing in Trent Lott's barbarshop
>quartet.

Trent Lott is one of three former cheerleaders in the Senate (the last Senate; don't know about the incoming one). The others are Thad Cochran and Kay Bailey Hutchison.

Speaking of cheerleaders, here's a juicy quote from Medea Benjamin of Global Exchange. Benjamin, after participating a high-profile anti-Nike campaign, cut a deal with Phil Knight after Nike raised some wages, leaving other anti-Nike campaigners fuming. Here's her response: "I was a cheerleader in high school, and I see it from the cheerleader side, and there are those who see it from the old cynic, white man point of view."

White men have a lot to answer for, but "multiculturalism" can be put to very sinister use.

The whole paper, on the role of PR in the anti-sweatshop movement, is at <http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/presspol/publications/pdfs/bullertfinal.PDF>.

Doug